Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 10:59 AM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by CollieRover
Yeah, I am so jealous right now, and a saab in there. You could fit a sand blaster, and all sorts of cool stuff. And don't get me started on the storage.
You seem excited to see a Saab in it's natural enviroment...in a garage with the hood up.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:47 AM
Mudding
Received 148 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
A $100 electric heater from Home Depot or Lowes, set on something 3'-4' off the floor will warm it up dramatically...really.

And those look like Ferrari wheels, lol
If only it were that easy. I'm in northern Utah and we get into the -20's here in the winter. I've been wondering how a wood burning stove would do with a heat exchanger fan. I've seen some pretty cool rocket stoves online, but I'd really hate to burn the place down I can pick up a used natural gas furnace for cheap, but then I'd have to run a natural gas line out there. Or just wait inside with my mug of hot chocolate till spring.

Old 10-16-2018, 12:22 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by T-rex
If only it were that easy. I'm in northern Utah and we get into the -20's here in the winter. I've been wondering how a wood burning stove would do with a heat exchanger fan. I've seen some pretty cool rocket stoves online, but I'd really hate to burn the place down I can pick up a used natural gas furnace for cheap, but then I'd have to run a natural gas line out there. Or just wait inside with my mug of hot chocolate till spring.
Nothing beats a wood stove, the best and cheapest heat there is. It is dirty though, and not really good for any electronics, speakers like to crackle from the fine ash in the air.
As for the electric heater, no it won't warm your shop when it's that cold, but if it's up off the ground and near where you are working, it'll make a small area much more comfortable.
A radiant barrier on the walls is what you need. $300-$400 worth, 2 rolls should do your walls and roof(it just staples up and doesn't need to be air tight). They also make it in panels for garage doors.
Put that up, and an electric heater will warm your whole shop in about 30 minutes. It's amazing stuff, basically foil paper that will not tear, but cuts easily.
I did my attic and garage doors. Night and day difference, and my light bill literally cut in half, and we get single digits every winter.
Good luck with whatever you do.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

You could change the orifice size in a NG furnace to run on propane, then have a medium sized tank put next to the garage. It would be relatively cheap to run.

I would insulate the space and run a propane unit heater, like a Reznor or something.

Right now, I run a 1400W electric space heater on the floor of my 2 car garage, it will heat it up in an hour or so, but my garage is double insulated

Old 10-17-2018, 08:16 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

You seem excited to see a Saab in it's natural enviroment...in a garage with the hood up.
Liam Neeson may have a particular set of skills, I have a particular set of tastes. The high maintenance kind. That's why I love my DII.

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (10-17-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 08:22 AM
TReK

Liam Neeson may have a particular set of skills, I have a particular set of tastes. The high maintenance kind. That's why I love my DII.
My father in law has had a couple Saabs, and still has a 93 turbo 4 cylinder convertable.
Fun car to drive, but always has electrical gremlins, as did the ones he had before it.
But I know what you mean, if you like it, and don't mind working on it.
Did I mention my D2 is still yard art? lmao!

Old 10-17-2018, 09:44 AM

My father in law has had a couple Saabs, and still has a 93 turbo 4 cylinder convertable.
Fun car to drive, but always has electrical gremlins, as did the ones he had before it.
But I know what you mean, if you like it, and don't mind working on it.
Did I mention my D2 is still yard art? lmao!
Still? Damn!

Old 10-17-2018, 10:04 AM
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice work on the Disco engine. No sympathy for the Saab however, for it was a late model under GM, who knows a few things about ****ing up a brand.

Sixpack577 (10-17-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 10:42 AM
TReK

Still? Damn!
Yep, engine is out again.
But no time, and still kinda burnt out spending time and money on it for now.
I'll fix and finish it eventually.
Changing gears and looking at getting another truck at the moment(Tacoma trd off road) and leaving the D2 as a project, instead of a hurry up and fix it for my daily driver.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:10 PM

Yep, engine is out again.
But no time, and still kinda burnt out spending time and money on it for now.
I'll fix and finish it eventually.
Changing gears and looking at getting another truck at the moment(Tacoma trd off road) and leaving the D2 as a project, instead of a hurry up and fix it for my daily driver.
When I have a garage I will do this eventually. I don't commute so it's not a big deal. I am thinking an old RR Sport though, when I run that into the ground, putting the Supercharged V6 and drivetrain in the DII. that's like years down the road.

Sixpack577 (10-17-2018)

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?