LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission “fixed” but now I’ve lost sport and manual mode

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 08:33 AM
Mudding
Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

So, I replaced the gear shift assembly and that fixed the 24/7 "D" light on the gear selector. The wiring harness on the rear looked fine and the pins on the old assembly were not corroded. Still have no command shift the "M/S" lights up now when I move the gear shift lever over, but it does not shift and nothing is displayed on the instrument panel.
I did have a bad TCCM which was causing a bunch of codes, but I have replaced that and it has resolved all of the codes I was getting and it shifts like its a brand new LR. The bad TCCM did not have any corroded pins in it as well. The TCCM is behind the battery. The TCM is located inside the transmission oil pan.
I believe you guys are right, it is something electrical. I think the only mechanical would be the gear shift assembly and the gear shift linkage down on the transmission which I don't think would have anything to do with command shift. I could be mistaken though. Man... I hate electrical.

I've removed the passenger side wheel well and checked all of those grounds, check the ground to the engine/frame. Let's see, I've removed the drivers and passenger side kick panels to check that wiring and don't see anything unusual. Looks like it's never been wet down there.
Can you guys think of anything else to look at?

Old 10-07-2020, 09:57 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was troubleshooting my loss of command shift, I checked shift linkage positioning through all of the gears. The linkage does not move when selecting between D/S/+/-

I did a bunch of troubleshooting and even replaced my shift assembly only to find that I had bent one of the pins on my TCM when reinstalling the connector sleeve and plug. I would get nothing when shifting from D -> S and a fault if I tried to manually shift using the +/-

Old 10-08-2020, 08:36 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by 03evan
When I was troubleshooting my loss of command shift, I checked shift linkage positioning through all of the gears. The linkage does not move when selecting between D/S/+/-

I did a bunch of troubleshooting and even replaced my shift assembly only to find that I had bent one of the pins on my TCM when reinstalling the connector sleeve and plug. I would get nothing when shifting from D -> S and a fault if I tried to manually shift using the +/-
Sorry, which pin are you referring to when you say TCM? Are you referring to the sleeve that goes into the transmission underneath the vehicle that the houses the plug that plugs into the transmission or pin 1 on the connector that plugs into the rear of the gear shifter assembly or the TCCM behind the battery?

Last edited by soarvet; 10-08-2020 at 08:38 AM. Reason: add picture
Old 10-08-2020, 08:39 AM
Mudding

is this the one you broke the pin 1 on. This goes into the transmission. You normally replace the sleeve when you replace the filter because it gets old and leaks.

Old 10-08-2020, 09:42 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by soarvet

is this the one you broke the pin 1 on. This goes into the transmission. You normally replace the sleeve when you replace the filter because it gets old and leaks.
yes. And I bent/broke the pin labeled “1” which turns out to be the “sport” input. There are about 4 or 5 pins that do nothing, but of course I had to break one that did something 🙄

Old 10-09-2020, 06:17 AM
Mudding

Looks like i'll be digging up in there to make sure I didn't dork that up. I did replace that sleeve when I changed fluids. You are correct, pin 1 is the sport/manual input. We shall see. Did you end up replacing the whole wiring bundle?

Old 10-09-2020, 11:29 AM
Mudding

Success! I fixed my sport/manual mode. I took apart the gear shift assembly I replaced and the wires were corroded where the harness plugs in on the backside of the PCB.

that explains why my "D" light was always on and would not light up "D/M" when I moved the gear shift over to sport or manual. So I decided to pull apart the replacement gear shift selector assembly. It was clean as a whistle. I sprayed some CRC on it to clean it off and put the PCB back in. Put it all back to together and still had no sport/manual mode. I was like WTH could it be. I ended up jacking the car up to look at the wiring bundle that 03evan was talking about. I untwisted the connector to inspect it, wiped it down. Pins looked good, so now I'm really like WTH is going on. I put the plug back on and made sure I had the twist lock on as tight as it would go, wiggled the wires on the back side of the plug, dropped the car and cranked her up to test. I now have sport and manual shifting. Looks like there is a loose connection on the wiring harness where it plugs into the transmission. Must have bumped it or not gotten it on tight enough when I replaced the transmission fluid, but it wasn't working when I bought it either.
There you have it. If you're having a sport/manual shift issue check that wiring harness. Hope this helps somebody down the road. Thank you to everybody who replied.

Old 04-14-2022, 08:01 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Adding to the knowledge on this forum, I had similar issues. No command shift, no sport mode, the D light on the console stayed lit in all gears (but worked on the dash). I also had a transmission fault shifting into 1st after every start. Replacing the shift assembly/lever fixed the issue and it's been running great for a month now. It also fixed a hard shift into 1st after coming to a stop. I'm guessing liquid spilled on the console and dripped down to the circuit board under the shifter handle. fix took about 30 min, the shift cable linkage pops off of with a pry from a Philips screwdriver in neutral (just like the tailgate/hood struts). Reverse to snap the cable back on the new assembly. Used assemblies are on eBay for about $150. Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
loanrangie (04-15-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 04:21 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 226 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by kels83
Adding to the knowledge on this forum, I had similar issues. No command shift, no sport mode, the D light on the console stayed lit in all gears (but worked on the dash). I also had a transmission fault shifting into 1st after every start. Replacing the shift assembly/lever fixed the issue and it's been running great for a month now. It also fixed a hard shift into 1st after coming to a stop. I'm guessing liquid spilled on the console and dripped down to the circuit board under the shifter handle. fix took about 30 min, the shift cable linkage pops off of with a pry from a Philips screwdriver in neutral (just like the tailgate/hood struts). Reverse to snap the cable back on the new assembly. Used assemblies are on eBay for about $150. Good luck!
I had the exact same problem and also fixed it by replacing the whole shifter mechanism.