Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 08:55 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Machine polish and wax then it rained....... Every time

Old 05-05-2016, 01:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

drained ATF and refilled, changed the filter and fluid for the first time prob a month ago. went to the bank and back, boy those front fenders get hot. the front door panels back are all just normal temp.

Old 05-05-2016, 04:15 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went camping w/2003 Discovery II

Just got back from a 3-day solo camping and fishing trip on the Arkansas River near Howard, CO. Forded Badger Creek 7 times on my way to favorite fishing spots. Caught a bunch of fish, cooked over an open fire, and had lots of fun.

Unfortunately, my manual door lock broke (remote hasn't worked for a while), and my key just turns freely in the cylinder. Retrieved a broken cylinder-lock actuator pin. When I find a replacement, how do I replace it?

regards, Lou in Canon City, CO

Attached Thumbnails What did you do with your DII today?-image.jpeg  
Old 05-05-2016, 05:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Lou Martin
Just got back from a 3-day solo camping and fishing trip on the Arkansas River near Howard, CO. Forded Badger Creek 7 times on my way to favorite fishing spots. Caught a bunch of fish, cooked over an open fire, and had lots of fun.

Unfortunately, my manual door lock broke (remote hasn't worked for a while), and my key just turns freely in the cylinder. Retrieved a broken cylinder-lock actuator pin. When I find a replacement, how do I replace it?

regards, Lou in Canon City, CO
just got thru replacing mine a month ago or so. You need to remove the door facing to get to the rod that goes down to the lock actuator. unbolt the door handle, and slide it toward the front of the vehicle and pull it out. You will see where the pin goes into the handle and is held on by a roll pin. The oem is made of lousy metal and costs about 28.00. I made a replacement using a 40d nail. I used a dremel tool to cut the head of the nail into a cross pattern(like a large phillips screwdriver) and then measured the pin and cut the nail the same length. I had to grind a small amount off the circumference of the nail so it would go into the lock cylinder(using a bench grinder and turning the nail). next I drilled a hole 5/32(if i recall correctly) after measuring the distance from the head to the hole on the original pin. The hole must line up with one of the blades that was cut on the nail head(this way the pin will be in the right position to slide into the grooves correctly when reinstalling the door handle. If you get a flash light and look into the door from the outside, you can see where the pin goes into the grooved + slot. I reinstalled the roll pin and put the handle back in and used a key to try the lock before tightening the bolts and reinstalling the lock rods that i had removed. Everything worked great. Mine never worked since I got the vehicle and only had FOB. The nail trick is way stronger and only costed me 40 cents.

The following users liked this post:
wjsj69 (05-09-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 07:01 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Cylinder-actuator pin , was Camping

Thanks joemamma1954, I like your idea.

Found a $5 replacement pin at a nearby yard, but I like making my own stuff too. So I'll be making a spare as soon as I get a break from camping and fishing.

Lou

Old 05-06-2016, 09:38 PM
Rock Crawling

Fixed with a home depot washer and super glue.

Getting junk yard door ready to go on and replace my dented rear door.

Old 05-07-2016, 04:04 PM
Rock Crawling

New door on and spare back on, but still looks way to close to the door, maybe my spare tire holder is bent a little too?

Old 05-07-2016, 10:02 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

did the pulling on the door with a hand winch thing not work out for you?

Old 05-07-2016, 10:20 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Dave03S
did the pulling on the door with a hand winch thing not work out for you?

a few weeks ago my neighbor called me while he was at a junk yard in Dallas and told me to come and get this white door, so i did. $100 for it sounded good to me. Also the glass on this door is perfect were as my old one had a scratch on it from someone running the wiper with the wiper blade off. so i was going to pull it out but then when i had the opportunity to just replace the entire door, i did that instead. its good i changed the door anyways, the new door opens and closes so much easier then the old one. due to the bend being where the little door resistance thingy is and the hinges were a bit stiff.

Last edited by BS50MGSXR; 05-07-2016 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:16 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I got myself a early Christmas present. I think it looks amazing.

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?